Midlands Area Training
ITCA Open Training Explained
To support sailors who wish to progress their sailing ability we hold Open Training events throughout the year. In order to take part in these training events you need to be able to safely sail a triangular course in light and medium winds.
Open training can be booked via the enter events tab on the ITCA website or by the links shown below.
We use a variety of coaches in the region. All the coaches will be Racing Coach Level 2 qualified.
Open Training Information
Open Training is run locally by the ITCA team at clubs across the Midlands Region. The Topper is an RYA 'pathway' class, which means it is recognised as developing the technical, physical and racing skills necessary to succeed at Youth and Olympic level. Our training days are open to all Topper sailors, from improvers to advanced racers, so long as sailors are competent to sail a triangular course. Non ITCA members can attend one open coaching event. If you enjoy the training we'd like you to join ITCA for additional coaching and racing.
We aim to have a ratio no higher than 1 coach to 8 sailors, often less, but please book early so that we can confirm the correct number of coaches as early as possible.
Typical training day timetable
- Arrival from 8.30am (check event details)
- Registration is available from 9.00am
- Coaching begins in club house at 9.30am with boats rigged, then after briefing it is straight onto the water.
- Lunch break - make sure to bring a good packed lunch, some clubs will have galley food available but you will be notified of this in advance of the event. Be sure to bring plenty of drinks.
- Debrief 4.00pm
- Finish 4.30pm but this may vary dependant on the weather conditions and amount of daylight.
Essential Equipment and Advice for the Coaching Day
· All sailors and on-water helpers are expected to be properly equipped for the day so please check the conditions ahead of time. It is essential that all sailors are dressed appropriately for the winter sailing conditions. Some of the sessions take place at the coldest points of the winter, so to take advantage of the coaching you need to be warm enough. It is expected that sailors use their own Toppers. Some clubs may have boats available to hire but this is not guaranteed and will need to be arranged independently of ITCA.
· Sailors should bring a pen and notebook to briefings and debriefings because it is impossible to remember even half of the information you will receive, so if its written down you can refer back to it. Please also have a drink in all briefings and out on the water with you to make sure you stay hydrated.
· For all sailors under 18 there must be an adult responsible for the sailor during the event, ie. someone who will be at or in the immediate vicinity of the club.
· Parents will be asked in advance to volunteer as crews for the coach boats and for on shore duties so make sure you also are appropriately dressed and please ask if you need to borrow a buoyancy aid. All parents need to help launch their sailors so waterproof/non slip footwear is essential.
If you have any questions or would like to host some ITCA training at your club please email Claire Turner at [email protected]
2023 Summer / Autumn Midlands Open Training Dates
|Summer Training 1||Saturday 3rd June 2023||Trimpley Sailing Club||Cancelled|
|Summer Training 2||Saturday 1st July 2023||Staunton Harold Sailing Club||Completed|
|Autumn Training 1||Sunday 3rd September 2023||Bartley Sailing Club||Completed|
|Autumn Training 2||Saturday 14th October 2023||Hollowell Sailing Club||Completed|
2023 Winter / 2024 Spring Midlands Open Training Dates
|Winter Training 1||November 18th 2023||Trimpley Sailing Club||Completed|
|Winter Training 2||January 6th 2024||Swarkestone Sailing Club||Enter Here|
|Winter Training 3||February 2024 tbc||tbc|
|Spring Training 1||Saturday 23rd March 2024||Notts County Sailing Club||Enter Here|
|Spring Training 2||Saturday 20th April 2024||Rudyard Lake Sailing Club||Enter Here|
Once these Training Sessions become available for booking/payment; this is to be completed through the Events Section on the ITCA Website. You must pre enter if you would like to attend the training session.
If the online system is fully booked please add you name to the waiting list and email Claire Turner at [email protected]
If you would like to keep in touch with what is going on in our region why not join the Midlands Area Whats-app group. Email [email protected] or [email protected] with both parent and sailor's names with the parents phone number and we will join you to the group. Or you can find us on Facebook, search "Midlands Toppers"
ITCA Open Training Recently completed at Notts County SC