The Topper is an RYA recognised class, and for the keen racers, there are a range of opportunities for sailors to gain extra training and support as part of a Topper squad. Some are run by the RYA and others by ITCA (GBR). All are administered by the Class Squad Administrator, whose contact details can be found in the website contact pages, if you have any questions or need guidance.
The structure and selection process for Topper Squads is described in the Notice of Selection, which has now been published on the RYA website. Click here to visit the Junior Selection pages on the RYA Website.
For planning purposes, please note the dates of the selection events for National Squads which are:
- NS5 - Draycote Water SC - 16th &17th June 2018
- NS6 - Derwent Reservoir SC - 14th & 15th July 2018
- UK Nationals - WPNSA - 28th July to 3rd August 2018
- NS1 - Marconi SC - 8th & 9th September 2018
Sailors interested in selection must compete in the UK nationals and at least 2 of the other 3 NS events.
A general overview of squads is provided below.
Full and up to date details of the RYA squads can be found by clicking this link to RYA Squads page on the RYA website.
A summary of the relevant squads is provided below:
Zone/Home Country Squads
- 6 English Zones plus 3 Home Countries (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland).
- Squad sizes vary according to number of applicants.
- Each area has its own indicator events in September (usually Zone Championships, one specified open training day and one specified Traveller Series Racing event). Details of the qualifier events in your Zone can be found on the rya website
- Age limit applies. You need to be under 14 (i.e 13 or under) on 31st December 2018.
- Applications via RYA web site but more information on selection events via your ITCA area team.
National Junior Squads
- Selected on sailor’s overall ranking at the end of the selector events listed in the calendar.
- Age limit under 15 (i.e 14 or under) on December 31st in year of selection.
- Discretionary places can be available, including places for slightly older sailors, as detailed in the notice of selection
- Squad size - up to 24 sailors in each squad .
- Applications via RYA web site. Click here for the Notice of Selection
ITCA (GBR) Squads
ITCA GBR National 5.3 Squad
- Age limits 13 or over and under 19 on 31st December in year of selection
- Squad size varies dependant on number of applicants
- Selection criteria as per RYA squads using the overall ranking from selector events and applications via the same on line system on RYA web site.
- Click here for the Notice of Selection
ITCA GBR National 4.2 Squad
- As a guideline, sailors shall normally be aged over 10 and under 14, and between 33-45 kg, on the 31st December 2018
- Squad size dependent on number of suitable applicants
- Applications via on line RYA system. Click here for the Notice of Selection
- You can be in a Zone Squad and 4.2 Squad in the same year.